Sunday, March 02, 2008

In which some perfectly good Shakespeare proceeds to suck


Oh, my.

Soooo... I went to ART last night to see their Julius Caesar - this is the Shakespeare that's normally responsible for entire swaths of America hating Shakespeare for the rest of their lives. I think it's the default play because there's no sex in it.

The brief review: Over 3 hours, and it sucks ass.

On the plus side, there's a Harvard pub called The Queen's Head that's open 'til 2 am, and they have a very nice in-house beer (it's called 1636) (uh, yeah, after the founding of the college, I think).

I needed a beer. Actually, the very end of the evening, where the whole cast is onstage line dancing, was pretty awesome - good song, and since the actors spend almost the entire night not moving their bodies in any way shape or form which is one of the maddening sucky things about this production - well, watching them finally able to move was pretty nice. Not quite nice enough to wait 'til midnight for, is all I'm sayin'. Also there's a fantastic jazz trio that does some standards sprinkled throughout the play, and they were really fun; yup, bought a cd, it's already on the ipod.

Sigh.

How's your weekend going?

Oh - I keep meaning to ask this, but there's a question on the OKCupid! profile page I can't really answer without help from you guys: "what is the first thing people notice about you?" And I have no idea. The cloud of fourth-dimension flying monkeys hovering just behind my head, perhaps?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The intensity of your eyes is the first thing I noticed about you, well, right after the hat that looked like a double helix.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Witchypoo said...

After your eyes it's the perpetual motion :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Shakespeare without sex is no fun at all. (Cf. Henry V English-lesson scene, a favorite of high-school French students the world over, or at least the ones who are having compulsory Sartre inflicted on them at the same time. Sartre is unremittingly depressing, but at least he uses lots of dirty words.)

Re the Guy, I can only say: even a stopped clock. And, washing hands, moves on.

As best I recall, my first impressions were:
1) She's tall.
2) I would kill for that hair. (At the time you had longish medium-chestnut hair. So, OK, that one's not too useful.)
3) Ditto those eyes.
4) She's either half a bubble off plumb or oriented to a different gravitational axis. (Yes, I stole that one from Roxie.)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, crap. Eldest's class is going to see that play next week.

I noticed your height first. Then I realized that you knew as much of the Broadway repetoire as I do.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home