Friday, February 29, 2008

Oof. Also whee!


Thud. Geez.

Okay, so this week I had lecture Monday, lecture Tuesday, lecture Wednesday, lab Thursday, and got together with a lab partner and one other classmate to study until midnight Thursday. Oof. Midterms are coming up, and I'll have three in rapid succession. Last night I realized that I had no idea when the statistics exam was. Er, well, I checked on that pretty quick.

We're getting quizzes every time we have lab. It's nerve-wracking - I don't think well when tired, and I think I wrote complete nonsense last night in response to the question, what might happen if you didn't purify things out of your PCR reaction? Kind of sucky. I guess the plus side is that our TF reviews before she hands out the quiz so we have a good chance of getting things right, and the damn things aren't worth much in terms of our final grade anyway.

Apart from school, I had a denouement with the Guy. He called Wed. night (by appointment!) and we had a good long conversation. I'd said, well okay anytime after 9:30ish is fine, so he called at 9:31 (while I was still in lecture) and then called back again. I've shut down my feelings for him almost completely at this point, so it didn't reopen anything for me, but what stuff I still kind of needed, I got from him, which was really good. He did indeed owe me some explanations and I got them; also I am vain enough to really enjoy hearing how amazing I am over and over again. This does sort of raise the question, well if you really feel like that toward me how well is your attempt at a monogamous relationship with someone else likely to go? but it was fine. He was frustrated in the end, for a change; I called him on all his bullshit; and when he floated the idea of getting together for the night I cheerfully told him to fuck off.

And now... buried under the avalanche of work and god knows what, I got a big fat envelope in the mail from Harvard Extension.

I am an official degree candidate now. I have a shiny new i.d. card, and a nice pin with the university crest on it, and transfer credit and library borrowing privileges and I can use the athletic facilities and eat in the dining hall and... Pinocchio has become a Real Boy. Er, Girl.

I'm really doing this.
It's happening.
It's going to take me a little while to absorb it; I might need to cry. For the moment, I'm feeling like a little flame just lit up inside me.

Yay.

Knitting brunch at Athan's in Brighton tomorrow morning, anyone - be there or... not! And tequila knitting on Wed.!

And oh my god I have to do a heart dissection in lab on Monday holy crap...

Late addition:
Saw this on DailyKos in someone's comment and it brings tears. Something lovely:



2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Yay for learning! I've been looking at online degree courses (public health/epidemiology) myself the past few days. It's time to get back into the academic milieu - this time with a bit more careful planning to make it work. Ultimately it doesn't happen unless you make it happen, right?

1:52 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

You? Rock. Like a big rocking thing that rocks a lot!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home