Monday, January 28, 2008

Splat


Well, I'm up. Tried lying in bed for what felt like hours, and then finally got up and it was before 8. Sigh.

The condo is now MINE. I'm making lists of things to bring in and do and stuff. Trying to figure out precisely where to put things, which is rather trick as it is a very, very small apartment. But it's a fun problem to have.

I managed to slip on ice yesterday morning whilst doing my virtuous recycling duty (uh, carrying a whole bunch of empty wine bottles out to the bin), and went Splat. Then yelled "F*ck". Then spent the rest of the morning in so much pain that I felt nauseous. The good part was that I didn't crack my head, or land on the edge part of the granite stair. The bad part was...well, that I went splat on granite on my ass. And it fucking hurt.

I stretched, gently moved around, eventually (about noon) took some Aleve. A few rounds of "Even Flow" on Guitar Hero got my back loosened up, which was great (I have a new favorite song to play! guess what it is!).

Then I drove oldest into Cambridge for her thing at MIT and yes, moved some small stuff into the apartment. Up and down four or five flights of stairs was good therapy. The Aleve kicked in and I managed to eat a scone and some juice at the tea shop around the corner from my building, while I made a list of all the other stuff I need to move in. Went and did some of that. Still mulling over bed and seating. Also what to do about the required electronics for modern life. Sigh.

Thank god my Pilates instructor is also a physical therapist. I expected the workout last night to be agony, but she helped me work around things and I actually felt better by the end than when I started. Yay!

Party on Friday was great! Thanks so much for coming, everybody. I now have more cookies than you can shake a stick at, and also a lot of leftover food (shock! me, make too much food? the very idea!). I was enormously pleased with myself for getting pasta with chicken & pesto & tomatoes, salad, and fajitas all ready for a buffet dinner for 14 in half an hour. True, it would have been a better idea probably to at least do some prep earlier, but hey, life on the edge has a way better view. Also nobody would have been upset if I didn't get it done.

It was really, really fun. I haven't had people over (other than kid birthday parties) since the funeral. It was wonderful. Hey, I like you people!

New semester of classes starts tonight at Harvard Extension. Whee! Bio professor has helpfully suggested we read four chapters for tonight's lecture. Ahem. Also oldest kid has a college interview. Must not forget this.

Off for the rest of my merry, foolish day; have a good one, all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I'd be glad to help you pick out some things for bedding, etc. Seeing as I've lived in spaces that size more recently ;)

Ikea is your friend, we could take a field trip with the minivan.. ;)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm so sorry you fell and hurt yourself. I agree with Amber that Ikea is the place you need to go. It's close to me and I'd be happy to meet you there sometime.
Don't you love the start of the new semester? It's such a clean slate.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

If you do it again I might actually be on time. Or maybe I should do one, and that way I won't have far to go.

Ice: one of the 943 reasons I hate winter. Hope the improvement continues.

Yay condo! If I'm out partying in the Square until 3 am (shut up! it could happen) I'll know whom to call.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hate when I do that - I end up lying there taking inventory :)

Congrats again on the condo - aka the Love Shack! hehehe.

And thanks for the party Friday night it was loads of fun and I had a great time catching up with people I don't see enough.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home