Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Saggy Baggy Yoga Pants


Have you ever heard of Pilates exercise? For the longest time, I read it as the plural of Pontius. As it turns out, it's not quite as closely related to crucifixion as one might think. Apparently it's pronounced "pi-LAH-teez", for one thing. A few friends from town politics invited me to come and do a regular class with them. So, Sunday evenings, now, that's what I'm doing.

Ouch. Remember to breathe. Seriously, I keep forgetting, and then the teacher says, "and inhale," and I find yet again I have been holding my breath trying to concentrate on whatever the hell I'm supposed to be doing. It's good, though. I can use the strengthening, certainly.

I hunted in the closet for the yoga pants I know I own--somewhere!--because the sweatpants I wore at the first class kept flopping all over the place. Found 'em. Put 'em on. Looks like the skin from the saggy baggy elephant story.

One, two, three, kick! (this only makes sense if you remember the saggy baggy elephant story; apologies if you don't.)

I'm probably not going to go knit with the gang in Acton today, as I'm finishing up a project that's due today; see you at Javaroom, whoever's there.

Thanks, Old Round and Jena and Lynne; I'm feeling better today. Cranky. But better. I'm not sure I want to go to the bereavement support group that meets on Thursday, since they wouldn't let me come when I really needed to ("you're just too raw") and it pissed me off. Also I think it's a more God-oriented group than I'm comfortable with. Also it pisses me off that "all are welcome" except evidently me if I'm in a lot of pain, and no kids, please. How very welcoming. And inclusive! Oh, yes! I forgot to mention!

Looks like a definite, then--not going. Maybe this is that anger I keep reading about. (geez, Liz, ya think?)

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You're just too raw? Good grief, what is that? It does ineed sound very unwelcoming and incredibly less than helpful- so sorry they did that to you.

I went to a pilates class in Florida at the Y with the inlaws and enjoyed it. Of course it was the moderate version since it was full of oldish folks which meant it was just my speed. I've never been very athletic but I keep trying.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I had an online support group that was a great help after my mom died. Plenty of us were pretty raw, let me tell you. I would stay far away from a group with the attitude you're describing. You surely don't need people to judge you for your grief.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

What??? You can't go to bereavement support group until you're all better? What kind of evil silliness is that? And, excuse me, God-oriented? I'll give them God-oriented: Mt. 25:31-46. (That's "the least of these my brethren," or cistern, er, sisters, in this case.)

Now you've got me ticked off too, and I don't even have an excuse. At least it gets the blood moving -- no Pilates for me, I don't writhe in public.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me your kidding about the bereavement support group. That's just ridiculous.

I keep meaning to try Pilates. I've got to try something, I'm fedup with getting 'rounder'.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Josette said...

Not to jump on a bandwagon but I do think that asking someone to A) become more 'seasoned ' in their pain to belong and B) to encourage families experiencing grief to separate themselves in their search for comfort and C) having rules for someone who has gone through what you are going through beyond, 'come in, honey, and let's sit down and let it all out then have some chocolate, coffee, or the comfort of your choice' is kinda sick.

and, you're on the right road, the one wherein you are desiring to live and be healthy - not terminally choosing to preserve your pain - but trying to live with it and appreciate the place it has in helping your family hold on to DH in mind and heart forever....I wish you joy on a sunny day and warmth and comfort on the cloudy ones.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Well, I'll jump on the bandwagon. That bereavement support group sounds to be anything BUT supportive. You're doing better without hanging around people who (from the sound of it) will tell you how to grieve and criticize you if you don't follow their advice. Feh.

You were missed at knitting today. Hope you can make it next week.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

I'll jump on the bandwagon too! How frelling... ooo! The nicest word I can use is... dimwitted to shoo someone off when they are in pain! What did they...?! Do they think...?! OOO! :pop: Damn. I think my head just exploded. I need to go fondle some Malabrigo and have a little lie-down. Ooo. Methinks they are blind to their own pain, their own journey, and are afraid to look at you on yours since you're actually, you know, getting somewhere. At your own pace. In your own time. With love and support. And then they'd have to face their own. Ooo.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, THAT makes sense. "We wil help you cope with your grief, once you're to the point you don't need help." And since kids' feelings don't count, why would they be welcome. What a bunch of asshats.

As for the yoga pants, I shall offer this advice -- although the wide-leg yoga capris in the store look appealing, once you lift your legs up they give everyone a nice clear view of your girly parts. You want to stick with fairly snug fitting pants. Please do not ask how I know this.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

"You're just too raw"?!??!
Where do they get off???

"We can't put a cast on your leg. It's just too broken."

That's not a support group, that's an exclusive clique whose common bond is grief. I'd say more, but I might use some very un-Christian words. ;)

Anger is healthy until the point where it is no longer a response but a personality trait. However, I doubt that you will reach that point. Meanwhile, relish in the evidence that the stages of grieving are progressing.

When in doubt, there's always wine and yarn. :)

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home