Saturday, March 17, 2007

Poncho of Doom



Well, there it is. It slipped my mind when I was updating the sidebar that I had this on needles, zipping along toward completion. Maybe that's because it's such dreadful yarn to work with. Finished it a few minutes ago, including weaving in/cutting off ends as much as possible, and modelled by a very happy kid, who loves it. Dancing around, singing, "I have a poncho! I have a poncho!" is my clue on this.

If you look carefully, you will notice a stripe of sandy-type color. This is the part where I persisted in knitting with yarn encrusted with actual sand. Also road salt. I'll wash it, but had to show you guys first.

In other news, we got about a foot of snow, and close to midnight, my stealthy good samaritan neighbors crept up and shoveled my stairs. And sometime in the middle of the night, The Plow Guy came. Huzzahs all around! The Plow Guy even came back to re-plow--thank goodness, the driveway had gotten covered with more snow after he made his first pass. Now all I have to do is shovel away some relatively small piles, and we'll be able to go to the housewarming party we're invited to.

(grief warning)

I dreamed that dh was with me last night. He was sitting quietly while I had a ridiculous conversation with our deranged interior decorator, and quietly looked at me, indicating, hey, you can handle this stuff now. And then he was standing with his arms around me while we both looked out the kitchen window, and I said to him, this is my favorite part of the day, after the kids are in bed, being with you. And he held me, and then began to shrink, and I scooped him up in my arms and carried him and tried to run and he said as he was shrinking, I have to go now, and we kissed and I woke up as he dissolved in my arms. I knew he was dead in the dream. It felt like he was there anyway.

I can't do this. I have to do this.

Finishing one thing, moving on to another. I don't know how. I don't even remember how many things there are. I'll try and figure it out as I go.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's a beautiful dream. Bitter. Sweet. Thanks for sharing it.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

Oh, Liz, I'm sorry to hear that your grief was made more fresh last night. In a way, though, the dream was healthy and peaceful, if bittersweet...

I hope that you have a restful and soothing night's sleep tonight, no matter what your dreams may bring.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dream. Don't be sad.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm sort of thinking that dream means you're coming to grips with this. But it must have made you incredibly sad.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Sorry I missed this the first time around... damn, I hate those dreams. Of course you can do it, but having to is totally unfair.

The poncho is great. So are your kids. (Yes, I envy you. No, I don't want to trade.)

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home