Sunday, February 25, 2007

Working it?


It’s been hysterically active around here. Oldest child and I spent most of Thursday disassembling her giant bunk bed structure. Youngest has the same structure, only his set of drawers was broken, so once we freed it I dragged Oldest’s drawer set into Youngest’s room and removed his broken one. I humped Oldest’s now-yucky mattress down to the trash, got the boxspring out of the barn, and then we went mattress shopping. Dragged new mattress and frame and boxspring up to the third floor, where kid’s room is. Got bed set up. The martyr factor was very high. Oh, and then we got ready for middle kid birthday slumber party. Which went rather well, actually. I got out the good china for the gaggle of girls and their Chinese takeout, and they had a lovely time.

I realized while oldest and I were struggling with hex wrenches that if I found tools and put them someplace that I’d be able to remember, they would stay there. Dh used to have organizing sprees, which often resulted in my not being able to locate vital things, like the backup system disks for my laptop or the power cord for the sewing machine, or any screwdrivers at all. This was usually fine, often wonderful, and occasionally disastrous. Years later, we still have not recovered from his notion one day that all power cords for all appliances in the house should go in one place. He then forgot where he put them. I still don’t know where the charger for the cordless drill is, and it’s been at least five years. Small things. I’m inspired to clean out the basement this spring and organize things in the barn--of course I spent last night throwing up, so perhaps I should be taking it slowly and not push myself too hard. Yeah, maybe, ya think?

Inspired by Erica, I’ve begun a clapotis. This means that Lucia is now most likely the last knitter in the world not to have made one. I’m using some yarn I got at NH Sheep and Wool a few years ago, Decadent Fibers’ handpainted stuff that I think is a mix of alpaca and some merino and possibly silk, but because I wound it into center pull balls over a year ago and lost the labels, I really don’t know. Stuff actively on needles, then: poncho of doom, which is now back in progress after being rescued from the snow and sand and salt in the parking lot at SPA (thank you again, Jena and Lynne) – I must note here that the encrusted road grit does not markedly worsen the knitting experience with this stuff (Lion Brand Microsuede) (ack! Cough! Spit!); the clapotis; a commission in Very Very Big Yarn, which is just making me laugh; some sort of sweater in Malabrigo (swoon, thud) (dammit! Just once, mind you!); unending socks in that aloe stuff that Ruth is knitting, too (I’ve decided it’s time to do the heel, so they’re not entirely endless after all, merely absurd); need to sew up the base of the fingers on youngest child’s gloves; and the Charlotte’s Web lace shawl, which was a lot more delightful before I screwed up the count somehow and now I must sit down and pay attention and see where I lost one frickin’ stitch. Sigh. I’m not going to feel silly about starting so many projects. I will knit what I feel like knitting. Nyah.

My Christmas cactus is beginning to bud. We’ll have blossoms soon, a bit late, but nice. My little lime tree is also getting ready to bloom. The sun last longer each day, and we’ve turned the corner and are heading for spring. I’m slowly turning corners, too, I think. I still can’t wear my contacts because I keep crying so much, but some of the habits of mind are re-configuring themselves. I’ve finished reading C. S. Lewis’ A Grief Observed, which was less portentously insightful than I expected but also immediate and real and familiar-feeling. The big thing, that I’m not married anymore, is still impossible to absorb, but smaller things, I can handle once in a while. Working on it. Working on a lot. The main thing is that I can, and am.

See you again, all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Ah never you worry, Lucia has company in the not-having-knitted a Clapotis category as I haven't yet ventured there myself either.

I have a perpetually confused Christmas cactus that never manages to bloom on any particular holiday and in fact it never bloomed at all until I started putting it out on the patio for the summer. I suspect daylength is it's prime bloom stimulus. There's a "bloom" fertilizer you can use if you really wish to encourage blooming at some particular time.

I should love to see your Charlotte's Web progress as that's another one I haven't yet knit and I don't think I've seen one in person before.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all my years, I.have.never.had.a.Christmas.cactus.bloom .at.Christmas! Come to think of it, I have always bought them in bloom, but have never been able to get them to bloom again - ever. So color me impressed :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You sound like the little engine that could. And I mean that in the most flattering way.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Add me to the clap-free list, too. I'm not saying never, but I've not had a strong urge to go down that road so far.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Schlumbergera Bridgesii blooms at Halloween every year. Go figure.

I also put it outside in the summer, which may be why it blooms at Halloween.

I think I'm over the hump with Ene's shawl. Knock wood

9:39 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I like Mel's way of putting it. Maybe I'm immune? I've never made Jaywalkers either.

At age 80-something-or-other my grandmother told me of her shock of recognition the first time she had to fill out some form and check the "widowed" box. My grandfather had been gone for some time, but she'd never thought of herself as a widow.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am mightily impressed by your furniture-moving feats of derring-do, not to mention the notion of a sleepover. I bet the use of the good china absolutely made their evening. We should all use our good china more.

It's good to have lots of projects -- it keeps life interesting in a relatively harmless way.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Lynda the Guppy said...

"I bet the use of the good china absolutely made their evening. We should all use our good china more."

Someone at work gave me a single purple poppy. It's gorgeous. So when I went home, I pulled out one of my Waterford bud vases and took it into work. Why have it if you don't use it? And it's nice to have something pretty and special to look at on an ordinary Monday. Although, living here in Earthquake Central (Los Angeles) all my Waterford is stored in their original boxes, but still...it does get used.

And I'm currently knitting the Clapotis, too! I'm about halfway through my second skein of LL Shepherd Worsted in the Aslan colorway. I like it, but I think I would have liked it better in a different colorway. These aren't my usual colors. Still pretty, though.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Christmas cactus bloomed around Halloween this year, though it has bloomed around Valentine's or not at all in other years. Great big congrats on hauling the furniture around yourself. Reminds me of Rosie the Riveter. In fact, I saw a comic in Spare Change a month ago which had Nancy Pelosi in the Rosie pose, but instead of holding a wrench she was holding GWB in a headlock. The caption was "We can undo it!" LOVED it. The other point ... I have also not yet caught the clap (otis).

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home