Monday, March 05, 2007

Geek time



I am a total geek.

Sock geek: My Socks that Rock shipment came Friday! So exciting! I immediately sat down to blog it but then checked Lynne’s blog; she kindly points out that some people may not have received their parcels yet, and declines to spoil the lovely surprise. Rats. Correct, of course. So I refrained. The fact that I am ridiculously pleased with my “sock yarn of the month” parcel is prima facie sock geekitude evidence.

Sci-fi geek: DD#2 (aka Geek in Training) and I watched Battlestar Galactica together Sunday night, and....OMG! OMG! OMG! I can’t believe it. (spoiler alert) How can they kill off Cara? Now what is poor Lee going to do for pining angst? Um, okay, maybe stay married to his perfectly fine, long-suffering wife. Uh, okay. Why is this such a big deal again, Weasel? It just is! It’s important! (Note: tv has become a lot more important to me.)

Celtics geek: I am hugely pleased that we’ve gotten a group together to go to the Celtics game Wednesday night. At least I think we have. You know, since I started trying to get this together, the C’s haven’t lost a game. Maybe I shoulda done this earlier in the season? It’s a bit harsh of the NYTimes to go on quite as much as they did about how embarrassing it was that the Nets lost to the C’s in overtime, the Weasel notes grumpily. The Weasel also notes grimly that the Celtics now have a cheerleader squad. I’d always thought that authentic Boston spirit would be best served by a bunch of gung-ho women from Dorchester, preferably in grungy old t-shirts. My idea would be for the visiting teams’ Extremely Pretty squads to do their thing, and then the decidedly not pretty but True Believers Boston bunch to randomly yell things like, “Lakers suck!” But that’s just me.

Internet geek: I had a great time Saturday night, hanging out online with the Daily Kos Saturday night losers’ club. The topic was “crushes of one’s youth,” and, well, an awful lot of bad 70’s pop music came up. Which we proceeded to quote at great length at each other for about an hour. It was a hoot.

Accounting geek: I love doing my taxes. I always have. I understand intellectually that this is kind of a disturbing thing. But I’m genuinely thrilled that my financial advisor talked to dh’s employers’ accountants and managed to get a corrected 1099 issued for me. Maybe I should become a CPA. I positively relish the prospect of filling in my Schedule A. I’m not a well woman.

Municipal government geek: (This one might be the scariest, people, so avert your eyes if you feel the need.) I still get info bulletin emails from the Mass. Dept. of Revenue, just because I used to need the information when I was on the town finance committee and don’t mind getting them enough to figure out how to unsubscribe. I recently spent an evening downloading current and prior year spreadsheets for state education aid for local governments, and analyzing population trends statewide and comparing it to funding levels. It was really fun.

So how was your weekend?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Nowhere as thrilling as yours. On Sunday I went to see a middle school production of "Annie Warbucks".

I fell asleep 1/2 way through the first act. "Wow, Mom," said Eldest. "That's really embarassing."

7:49 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

I got my STR package too, yesterday!! Been petting it ever since. Will I see you tomorrow? I have a few questions on the pattern.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major Geekattude! LOL! I finished my taxes and electronically sent them on their merry way.

I'm loving my socks that rock - I really love the colors! Not too crazy about the pattern so far, but I'm hoping the cables improve it.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

@#*$^@#$^!!!

That's a commentary on my unavailability tomorrow night, not on your geekiness, which I applaud even if I share only some aspects of it.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such geekability! I love it!

I really came here to say thanks for the sweet comment you left in my blog. I replied to it and then I realised you would have to check back to see it so I jumped over here too just because I could.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home