Monday, February 12, 2007

New and Improved


Okay, I tend to be behind the curve with things. One of dh's indicators that this blogging thing was really going mainstream was that I had one. So I've been hesitating, but Blogger forced my hand, and I'm now using New Improved Blogger. Feh. We'll see. Grumble, grumble.

Happy Darwin's Birthday! I've been hanging around here yakking about politics again. It seems to help a bit.

Anyway, thank you, you guys: Jena and Lucia and delurking Old Round (hi!) and Carla and Lynne and Carole and Erica. Virtual hugs much appreciated. I'm out from under the waves again. I think. Thursday was pretty challenging--I kept bursting into tears all day, and had to teach two classes at the homeschooling coop. By Sunday the weeping and wailing was pretty much limited to while I was driving. Have you seen An Inconvenient Truth? Gore talks about polar bears drowning. They swim in the direction of new ice, and the ice isn't there, and they keep swimming, and eventually they stop from exhaustion and they drown. Thursday was my polar bear day. Thanks for throwing some ice my way.

ADDENDUM! My Secret Pal has been so amazing, supportive, warm, wonderful--I'm grateful beyond words. At last I know who she is: Lorena. Hi, Lorena, and thank you again. Hope to see you this fall sometime.

Some miniscule knitting progress can be seen. DS's gloves are becoming asymptotic for some reason; I don't know why, but I seem to be resisting finishing them at some very deep level. I am infinitely approaching, but never quite reaching, completion of these. Here's where they stand (or lie limp on the kitchen table):


I'm already not charmed by the new Blogger image upload. The html is now much longer and includes "AAAAAAAAAM", which looks very much like I've accidentally leaned on the keyboard. Ah, well. I've wound some new yarn and begun a desultory sweater. It's, um, that really soft yarn that makes me fall over in a dead faint.

Malabrigo. (swoon, thud) JUST ONCE could I remain conscious, do you think?! Holy moly. It is very very nice stuff. Really.

Bustling in that New Improved Functional way: I have finally moved the boxes of Christmas decorations upstairs, ready to go into the attic. I have phoned the snowplow guy, leaving a wheedling message along the lines of, boy I hope you're still plowing after this totally sucky snowless winter, could you please plow us out when the blizzard hits tomorrow night? I found a lost library book, under the driver's seat of my car; the Dracut library will be so pleased. I used my gift certificate to Michael's and discovered that they now sell Paton's wool (suitable for felting!) and that Lion Brand has some new wool, also good for felting (I haven't gone near their yarn section in some time, so this was news to me); I inquired about whether they need a knitting teacher, too, though I don't know if I'm ready to deal to that extent just yet. I have closed out a joint account that had a couple of hundred dollars in it. I am tidying piles of crap, creating a smaller number of piles if not actual orderliness. I have successfully discussed the need for a corrected W-2 for 2006 with dh's employer--new forms on their way, yay. Upcoming: MacMall says they've shipped my new hard drive, so the next major project will be installing it and tranferring and repairing all my damaged files.

Happy Darwin's Birthday, all, keep warm, and thanks for stopping by.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

I really don't know how you do it, Liz. Sometime maybe you could give me a few helpful hints.

Ahem. Yes, that Malabrigo is lovely. I wonder if the stuff elann is about to put up is at all similar.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You're moving forward again. Good for you, Liz.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Liz, it was so wonderful to spoil you this round of Secret Pal. I am so blown away by your beautiful spirit, your open-ness, and your honesty. I am honored that I've virtually meet you. Next time I come to Boston, I *so* want to go to the theater with you!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'm so much looking forward to real snowfall, even though I'm going to have to drive to work in it.

Malabrigo is so yummy, but the brand name has always struck me as an odd choice. It translates as "bad coat".

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home