Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy Pi Day!


It's today! Today is 3/14! I suppose it'd be even more cool at 1:56, when it'd be 3.14156...but happy celebration of all things circular, mathematical, and all that.

In honor of this (no, not really; I am indeed flailing around for a logical transition here), I have registered for summer school classes. I'm going to take Brain & Behavior: Research Methods and Technologies, which I am just so excited about that it's obscene; and probably biochemistry, with the same guy who's teaching molecular this semester. The course description for biochem sort of sounds like it's the same thing as what we're doing now, but what the heck. And Brain & Behavior! oo! oo! it's got field trips to working labs and everything! Oh, it's so awesome! Behavioral effects of brain abnormalities! It feels like being a fish and at last getting back underwater for a deep breath of ... what I like best. Yay.

I was gonna try and take chem, or physics, or something, but those are mainly for med school folks and I'm *not* interested in medical school, I just want to do brain stuff all the time. And those are both 8 credits in 8 weeks and I'd need to petition for permission to do a credit overload if I were to take the brain course along with either one. Sigh. So I've registered for two things that are limited enrollment and deferred deciding or talking to my adviser about the stuff that's open enrollment, which seems like a sensible thing to do. The "deferring talking to adviser" part is because he hasn't replied to my emails, not because I'm avoiding it.

I'm all about the sensible. Yeah. That and beating my own score on Guitar Hero. It is an affliction.

Oh! I'm learning more music with C. from the coop - she's an amazing opera singer person, and we're learning some really silly Mozart rounds and a parody of Pachelbel's Canon. "Taco Bell Canon." Great fun. So we'll perform it with whoever else gets roped in, in a couple of weeks. It's interesting coming back to using the part of my head that reads music a little bit - not something I've done in a very long time, and it's a curious combination of visceral learning (where I "feel" the way it's supposed to go) and more intellectual learning.

So on to a leisurely review of biostatistics and beginning work on my Japanese history paper. And catching up with the reading for bio. I *will* get to brunch at Athan's in the morning, for sure; see whoever's there, there, and all y'all rest o' y'all, see ya when I see ya; and have a great weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger YawnOver said...

omg - one of my kids has a weird thing for pi. (seriously - he actually has it on a t-shirt.) He will be very disappointed to know that he got through most of the day without realizing the significance of the date :) Pi lovers everywhere will thank you for giving today the attention it deserves ;)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Wouldn't that be 1:59? (Don't hit me. I only remember it because I know the RPI fight song.)

So, if you don't want to be a doctor, what do you want to be when you grow up? Assumes a fact not in evidence, I know.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Oh, and I thought I was the only one who called it Taco Bell. Great minds and all that.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home