Wednesday, January 09, 2008

New vocabulary


This was new to me, at least. I'd missed my exercise class Sunday night because I took the kids to see "Sweeney Todd." This is a really interesting and I think good adaptation of the stage version - I do know the whole damn score by heart, so my take on things may be a little unusual. Anyhow, Tim Burton's stylized blood was great, the visual homage to Edward Scissorhands was subtle and delightful, and they chose to remove all group songs and just use individual pieces sung by non-singers, and it really really worked, I thought. Of course this is some of the most gorgeous music in the repertoire, which doesn't hurt.

Anyway, I missed class and really needed to work out, so my teacher agreed to do a private make-up session with me yesterday - I am now quite sore! - and while I was doing an exercise where I pull my arms back and pull up on abs while lying on stomach and arching my back without straining my back, and yes that's pretty tricky, she said, wow, your back is really cut!

"Cut"? WTF? "J, what do you mean, 'cut'? I have no idea what you're talking about." I was quite sure I didn't have any cuts on there.

So she explained. I guess "cut" means "lots of very clear muscle definition." Well, gee. I never see my back, so had no idea. Go figure.

cheerio, all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great word.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Yeah, it's been around for a while. It's good you're getting out more, apparently. ;-)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I had no idea either. Of course you should always compare your with-it-ness to mine, as yours will always win. (Ditto the cleanliness of your house and the cutness of your back.)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home