Saturday, January 27, 2007

Greetings from DC



So here we all are. Our feet hurt. Dinner has been had by all. I've been getting ready for our trip and bustling and holding it together mostly. At the moment, I'm sitting and typing and having a beer. Here's what's been going on:

I painted some signs. These are my kids at the blogger meetup before the rally.


There were some amazing things to see before things got going. These folks made a big sign just showing the names and dates of all the U.S. servicepeople killed.


And then things got going.


And going.


And going.

There were kids and teenagers and college students and anarchists and rappers and moms like me and grannies and famous people and not so famous people, and signs and big inflatable thingies and, well, a lot of people. Lots and lots of people. From in the middle of all this, it was really hard to tell how many people were there. The Mall is flat, you see, so it just gets full and you really can't see everyody else unless you're on a platform or something. It started to look like a whole lot of people when it was time to start marching, and it took over two hours for all the people to move off the Mall and onto the street. The estimates run from tens of thousands to around 400,000. God bless America, indeed. And cheers.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

God bless YOU and YOUR kids for being there in support of those of us who believe in what you're doing! AMEN!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

It sounds absolutely exciting, way to go you guys!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for being there. I should have been. We all should have been. Good for you. Now that's education!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I have been thinking about you all this weekend ... it sounds so THRILLING! Can't wait to hear more about it.

7:23 AM  
Blogger dqueue said...

Due to my social failings, we didn't actually get introduced Saturday. So, may I now say hello, I'm David, aka dqueue? I was there with my girlfriend and my dog, Marley. Your daughter was AWESOME with Marley; they got along like long time friends! Unfortunately, Marley became a little overwhelmed as the beginning of the march reached our area; we split to give her some air.

In any case, it was nice to spend some time in proximity. Your children are quite charming. Becky's going to be thrilled you have a knitting themed blog; I can't wait to tell her.

All the best.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Bob Herbert said 100,000+ this morning. He also said it's less important how many than that so many people still believe in the power of the people. Good for you!

(How are the cats?)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Josette said...

Uh, I think I might be becoming your newest groupie....

You amaze me. I come down to Boston a couple times a year. I'd love to meet you for beers or coffee and, of course, yarn play.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't the marches in DC electric? The energy is just amazing. I was watching news clips all weekend trying to catch glimpses of you and kids. At least it made the Sunday news circuits so there must have been a lot of people there.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, we met at the march! (I see dqueue already introduced himself.)Your kids gave my dog so much love that we'll never be able to satisfy her again. She's making wookie noises right now, looking for hands to pet her...

So glad to meet you, to meet your blog, to join you in so many interests. Peace and happy knitting to you!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home