Friday, January 19, 2007

Grooviness?


Snow at last! I love snow! The kids ran outside and fooled around. Some of it with dog, some sans. Then we had cocoa and tea and listened to the Mamas and the Papas. And danced, in a manner most groovy. Whee!

I have too many songs in my head. I just think of the song, and the whole thing plays in my memory. Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon? Don’t have to listen to it, really; just think of it, and then it starts playing, kind of in the background. Happens with songs I don’t even like, too—I really am not a Fleetwood Mac fan, but damn it, enormous sections of Rumours can start if I’m not careful, and then we’re in for endless choruses of “Rhiannon” before I get it booted out of there (“she is like a cat in the dark, and she is the darkness” – WTF??). I like to sing. Having words handy is necessary for that. Just wish I didn’t actually know all the words to, oh, “Don’t Stop (Thinkin’ About Tomorrow)” ACK! No! Get out of there! I hate that song!

Ahem. Background is now Queen, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love.” Which is fine.

It’s been a while since I listened to songs, other than classical radio. My Secret Pal sent me a compilation cd—thanks, Selkie!—and I finally listened to it. Lots of songs I know well, some new to me; fun. “American Pie,” some Indigo Girls, Cat Stevens, different things. It unglued a piece of my mind that had been carefully bandaged, so I cried a bunch today, too, but that’s all right. Music is important to me, along with words (ha! both!), and I need to be able to have it back. I build up enough strength for the next part, and then go through the next bunch of waaaaah, until I can’t do any more, and then I stop. It’s okay. “We wait until we can get up again, then we go on.” (“Waiting for Godot”)

Anyhow, it made me think of making one, too, with the JCB Song (link in the sidebar), Great Big Sea doing “General Taylor” and also their cover of “The End of the World as We Know It”, and on and on. Clannad, in Gaelic (yes, they are mostly in Irish, but there’s this one that’s actually Gaelic). “Gaudete.” Note to self: Self, you are geeking out again.

Knitting! Ruth (& I think everyone else in the room) assured me that the sock was in fact even worse than it looks in the picture from my last post, so I ripped it out. Breathe in, breathe out, and on we go. New socks are in progress, at the same time this time, so I can’t possibly have different gauge between them. Go, me. Also the mysterious fair isle project is zipping along.

The snow gave me an impetus to finish youngest child’s new gloves, so I have a feeling that’s on the cards for the next couple days. It’s chilly, and our beloved steam heat is chugging away, making all kinds of very earnest noises that, surprising, signify effectiveness. Warm and cozy. In contrast to sound and fury signifying nothing.

And there’s a march on Washington. Possible sound and fury, there, but we live in hope. So off we go. Bustle, bustle. Must book cat sitter.


7 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

No snow here, just rain. Music can make you feel all sorts of emotions. It's good that you can let some of it out.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Ah, yes, music. Grant bought us all a new tuner and CD changer for Christmas, and I listened for the first time in way too long to music that I alone in this household like. (We also have headphones.) Dire Straits, "Romeo and Juliet," possibly my favorite song of all time.

I can't go to Washington, but I'd be happy to sit your cats (and dog? or does she get kennelized?) if no neighbor kid is available.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

I love Great Big Sea! :)
Freshman year, some friends and I would sing "General Taylor" in many-part harmony (which was usually after a few drinks). :)

Sounds like all is reasonably well in la casa del Weasel. Glad to hear that. :)

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you liked the music! I suspected some songs might bring the tears, but I was hoping it would be healing at the same time.

Have a powerful time in Washington!

PS. Lucia, have you ever heard the Indigo Girls version of "Romeo and Juliet"? Gave me a whole different appreciation for the song, but I've heard that some diehard Dire Straits fans can't stand it, and was wondering why.

Best,
SP9 "Selkie"

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks... now I have the Dark Side of the Moon playing in my head...

It's nice to know someone who also knows the words to oldie goldies too, although I don't think the others appreciate it when we burst into song at the Java room. LOL!

I wish I could go to Washington with you but alas it's not in the cards for January. Hopefully in the spring.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

All we got here was rain. WTF.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Selkie, no, I haven't -- have to check that out. I'm not a serious Dire Straits fan, I have only the one album which I think I bought just for "Sultans of Swing," and fell in love with many of the songs on it.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home