Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bustle, bustle (or, guess who's spending too much time on the computer)


Finished an object, got another one started, and had the delight of remembering how to do corrugated ribbing in a way that pleases me. I hold the purl color in my left hand and the knit color in my right, and the flicking yarn forward and back proceeds very nicely. I got a whole cuff done and started on the body of a mitten, and then discovered that through disuse, my fair isle technique at present sucks a**. Dismaying, but I kept going, and while at first I thought the whole thing looked like crap and I should just stop and rip it out, it now looks pretty much okay.

I've been knitting like a...well, you know. So the afternoon status shot you see is now a finished mitten sans thumb.

Oh, I've been so busy. I took down the Christmas tree (the kids de-infested the ornaments last week; Mommy's just not one to get around to things at predictable intervals) and dragged it outside, AND vacuumed all the debris. I wrapped another bunch of yarn to do Something Cool With. I found out how to process coffee beans, and began the process with my tiny harvest - did you know that the berry part tastes pretty good? no kidding! I don't know why commercial producers throw it away; it'd be great ice cream, or jam.

And I dug around in my knitting bag and found the sock-in-progress that was the only knitting I'd been able to do most of the fall. Many of you saw this pathetic little thing; I didn't get any of it done except among gatherings of knitters. Well, Gauge Is a Funny Thing. Look:


Yes, that's the same number of stitches. Same needles. Same yarn. The finished sock was made Before, and the SIP is After. All together now: Crap!

Distraction time, clearly. Look at something unbearably cute for a minute. Aren't you glad you did? Of course you are.

One last thing: Somebody wants to know if anyone has any suggestions for getting the smell of dog pee out of the rug. No particular reason. Woof.

Her name is Daisy, and she wiggles when I take her picture.

Yes, I'm feeling better. Thanks for stopping by. Shout-outs to Carole, Lucia, Jena, Ruth, farm witch, and of course Lynne (go see the funny!), the inimitable Tattoo Queen (who is inexplicably knitting the same fair isle as Moi) (except different), and also Mel could use a hand, people, if you can; you'll be glad you did.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Glad you're feeling better, dearie. Love the mitten. I had a similar thing happen with the socks I was knitting when my dad died.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

You could try that Nature's Miracle stuff, or baking soda, or... hell if I know. Glad you're feeling better. See you soon!

7:44 AM  
Blogger YawnOver said...

Simple Solution - it even erased red wine from my sofa after a certain small doggie knocked a glass right out of my hand...

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

I use this stuff from PetSmart that comes in a very plain white spray bottle with red writing. I'm not sure what it's called... Nature something. There's this other product I see advertised all the time called Zero Odor. I'd assume that it probably works reasonably well.
We often coat the rug with baking soda, let it sit for an hour, and vacuum it back up.

See you tonight!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaah!

I just had a cute-gasm.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, is that mitten lovely -- and the socks, despite their gauge issues, are a great color.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,

Getting dog pee out of a carpet? Something I would know about, what with McDoofus having trained me so well. I use distilled white vinegar. You can pour it on as is, or mix with water and/or dish soap. The odor goes, but the stain tends to come back, unfortunately, at least on wall-to-wall. But we cleaned a 9 X 12 rug this way last year, and it's pristine.

Dale

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, what kind of yarn are you using for the blue-yellow-green socks?

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home