Friday, August 25, 2006

It's knitting, but it ain't pretty


Continuing on what seems to be my ongoing theme of bitching and moaning about absolutely everything, I've been knitting and knitting and knitting with some yarn that is not my most favoritest stuff in the entire world ever. I've procrastinated, of course (what would it be without a final panic at the end, after all? well, what?), partly because there was some discussion as to what, exactly, would be the edging. I have been doing this:

Sorry about the blur. My hands must be wobbly, what with the pulling the beejezus out of the yarn to get it to any kind of consistent fabric at all. I still have to (ahem) write the rest of the pattern, and then, er, knit it. I'm not freaking out (YET). It's due Sept. 1. The bummer, slight though it is, is that I also have some design sumbittals I really want to devote some time to, but I really do need to make a bit more progress on this thing before I can in good conscience skip out on the work yet again. The gauge in this yarn is really weird and wobbly and hard to nail down. I think I've got it, and my calculations are coming out correctly so I must have done something right, but it's still a bit unsettling.

So of course I went looking online for yurts. Yes, yurts. What? I saw some at a Girl Scout camp. They're great. You got a problem with yurts? Didn't think so.

And since I was reading a bunch of posts about gifted kids and grade skipping (elsewhere, not here), I thought about some of the people I knew in high school, and went googling two and found both of them. Go figure. So maybe I'll hook up with some old pals before the 25th reunion (holy crap! 25th?!?!). Or sooner.

We made brownies today. Yum.

Hi, Mel! Hi, Jena! Hi, Lucia! Hi, Ruth! Hi, Stingdragon! Hi, Carole! Yes, it is a drag that the knit out is on Rosh Hashanah; at least it's not Yom Kippur? Sheesh. See you around, folks; back on yer heads.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Gosh I feel like I haven't seen anyone in aaaaaaaaaages. Good luck meeting deadlines!

Yurts- don't think you were around last summer when hubby and I went up to Montana for the wild wedding of his yurt-inhabiting cousin. He likes to think he's a wild boy (the cousin that is, not hubby) and passes around pics of himself naked on a glacier from his Alaska canoeing trip a few years ago.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh my! David has a little bit of a yurt fetish, so he'll quite enjoy those links. I have to admit, too, that the idea of having a home up and ready in two days for under $50K has a certain appeal, especially in this neck of the woods. Of course, we'd really, really have to get rid of a lot of stuff, even for the 30' yurt. Still, by the time we buy land, it may be all we can afford for a while.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

There used to be a yurt on Orr's Island,ME where my dad lives. I always thought it was pretty cool but I couldn't imagine how you would place furniture!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love yurts.But I don't love that yarn. Had something like that before, tangled it horribly, tossed it in the trash. Good luck with that ;)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

My sympathies for that yarn... it really is more of an edging/accent yarn than a fabric yarn.

See you in a couple days... school starts this week! No more free time for me, so stitching and bitching are much more precious now! :)

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, thanks for finding me.

If you ever want help imagining what burning this project would look like, check my blog. Well, that was a big wooly sweater burning there but...I can empathise with the "juggling of many projects" and hating being stuck working on the least favorite one...

Oh, and, by the way...I LOVE YURTS!

Jessica (http://jessieknits.livejournal.com)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home