Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Doo-dah, doo-dah


"I am folding clean underwear, doo-dah, doo-dah, I am folding clean underwear, oh the doo-dah day..." Losing it? Moi? Hm. Perhaps.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time putting together our annual filing for Official Homeschooling Approval from the local school dept. I have a boilerplate letter that I use, but I also elect to send (as Evidence that the Children Are Indeed Learning Something) dated work samples. This is no big deal during the year and it beats the heck out of standardized tests; I just write the date someplace on the kids' work and a few times a year stick it all into 3-ring binders. They like looking back at what they've done, and it's pretty simple for me. But then I have to choose some not-overly-"chosen"-but-still-representative bits to copy and send in. Also I had to find some of the books we'll be using and send in copies of the table of contents. This involves finding the books. Some days this is more challenging.

But, oh, the copying. It takes ten times longer than I think it will, every single time.

I was re-working last year's letter to use again, and noticed that I'd said I would be writing a brief narrative progress report for the two younger children. Oh. Oh, crap. So that was another three hours, looking through the log I keep and remembering stuff.

This is the mostly tidied up version of the aftermath of all that:

That's after putting almost everything away. I also noticed that I needed to order the next book in the handwriting series I use with littlest guy. Also had to figure out what to do about spelling, since what we tried last year after finishing one really good book turned out to suck. Ended up picking this, which oldest child had a version of in school at one point and the old books have been kinda fun for middle child. So that's been my morning! Some fun, huh, Bambi? Oh, yeah!

See folks at Javaroom, whoever's going, and enjoy this gorgeous day, everybody!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

Yikes. It sounds a lot like doing taxes. No wonder I don't homeschool Miss B.

I never could understand why schools should be so big on spelling. Basically, some people have the Spelling Gene, some don't. In either case, reading a lot helps, but I know some superb writers who can't spell their way out of a paper bag and keep us editors employed.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Good Yarns said...

Thanks for going to my blog and telling me it IS possible to do something with my malabrigo. Can't wait to see it! Any picture? I've got four kids and a great hubby and have just gotten the knitting bug last year.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home