Monday, August 17, 2009

Milestones


Running is...working. Now that the plumber (who was here to fix the water-raining-into-the-kitchen problem) and the roofer (who gave me a huge quote to fix the roof so we don't have water coming in down the walls) have gone, I can go run.

It's now later in the day by a lot than when I'd like to be running. But I still want to do it. Yesterday I ran about 1.5 miles without needing to stop and walk, without running out of breath, and without anything hurting, for the very first time in my life. I was amazed. I did my usual leg exercise routine beforehand, stretched out afterwards, and now my legs aren't sore from yesterday or anything.

Both things feel like small miracles. I could keep going. I don't hurt. I kept running, and because I'd never been able to go that long before, I ran out of road--Liz to self: hey, I still feel okay! I can keep going! um, where the hell do I go??

It was a bit silly.

And I've signed up to run a 5 mile race on October 10. So I better get off my ass and go run.

Classes start in a couple of weeks. I'm juggling the schedule for Harvard GSAS and Harvard Extension. I've got to go to grad school orientation and stuff. And finish up my internship. And oh, yes, raise and educate my children, take care of the pets, yadda yadda...

It's good.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Yay! I'm getting there, I need to get out and run sprints more, but I'm getting there! Running is just this amazingly foreign thing to me, I'm still surprised every time I go out and do it and *don't die*. :)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I very much need to get back into a regular exercise schedule. My job has just killed me on that front, which is why I've been talking with an industry headhunter. Even if it means doing yoga in a hotel room a few nights a week, anything would be an improvement over my current situation.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

oh, god, seriously, Amber, the *not dying* part amazes me. I can still breathe! I am still upright! Whoa!

And Mel!! Your schedule has been just punishing - I feel like every time I look you're working at 2 in the morning, or in between 12 hour shifts, or something equally inhuman. Good luck with making changes :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

You rock, like a big rocking thing that rocks a lot!

Where is the 5-mile run? Is it near/in Boston? Are you allowed to have people waiting to cheer for you at the end of the race? Because guess who has a birthday on October 11th, and is coming to my favorite city to celebrate...?!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Oh, geez, neurobio and all the assorted sciency stuff that just bounces off my brain isn't enough, now you run? I've never been able to run more than about 50 yards without writhing in agony. Srsly. I can bike, I can swim, I can walk, I cannot run.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Liz, you are my inspiration! I was training for a 5K, then fell away, and now because of you feel I need to get training again. Hooray for you! Thanks!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home