Monday, January 19, 2009

Snow. Again.


Well, so much for driving down to DC for the inauguration. It would have been really fun to hang out with my cousin, but we got about a foot snow starting Saturday night, and I would have needed to leave Sunday, and I couldn't even get out of my driveway until about 7 pm Sunday - grocery store was out of reach, never mind another city. Le sigh. Yes, I do have a shovel. But I just *knew* Plow Guy would arrive as I was finishing shoveling the entire driveway, and I really didn't want to do that again. It's a rather long driveway. Early evening heralded the arrival of... Plow Guy! Huzzah!

So then it started snowing even more. So of course I went to the movies.

So. On the drive into Cambridge, I slid to the side of the road twice and had some assorted other wobbles. If I weren't from here, and if there'd been much other traffic, it would have been scarier. Mais comme ca, it was eh. Glad I was driving for 40 minutes instead of 9 hours.

(Frost/Nixon is pretty good.)

Plow guy came in the wee hours to make my driveway super-excellent most marvelously passable! Plow Guy has redeemed himself! Yay, Plow Guy!

Oldest child has her last exam on Wed. night. I, carefree scholar, have merely a wrap-up lecture on Thursday and some fooling around with a bit of writing that I want to send my history of science professor ('cause she asked, that's why).

So happy Martin Luther King Day, all, and happy Day of Hope. I don't yet dare imagine what it'll be like to put the Bush years behind us as a country; not just yet. I don't want to jinx it. My middle daughter says she can't really remember a time before Dubya's presidency. I know there are millions of other kids like her, and I want to scream. For the nonce, I shall limit the screaming to the pillows, smile sagely, tell my children that it is a great day.

Oldest voted for this president. She and her friends look at us oldsters, we sitting in stunned horror at the last 8 years, and cock their heads, and they are figuring out how to figure out what to do with their lives. Perhaps it is a scrap of help that the president offered such a huge example of What Not To Do, in almost every possible way.

So. Hope, that wells up from the tsunami of joy as tomorrow approaches. I cannot remember the last time "tomorrow" meant something so good. And hope, from the more tangible lives of the extraordinary kids I know. I pass down the traditions of what I know. They take up everything, and make beauty.

Tomorrow. Yay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Care to send Plow Guy up my way? Plow Lady didn't show up by the time I needed to go shovel to guarantee getting on the road to work in timely fashion. We were not amused.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Hey, you're back! Yay! Sorry it took me this long to notice.

We've elected the fifth youngest President in our history, and damn if he isn't acting like a grownup. How refreshing. (I was going to say second youngest, and then I thought I'd better look that up. I was thinking of JFK, of course, but it turns out that Grant, TR, and Clinton were also younger. Without looking, which one was youngest? I thought I knew, but I didn't.)

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

P.S. Dare I hope to see you at knitting tonight?

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home