Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Neuroscience exam, not so much


(waves from under pile of papers) Hi!

Had my midterm in "Brain & Behavior" a little while ago. This is one of those situations where I know the material pretty thoroughly, and feel horribly embarrassed about getting anything wrong at all. I got a few wrong. Not many, but still, SOME. And so now I'm in the throes of feeling like I am personally letting my professor down for having missed any questions at all. Especially on Heschl's gyrus, which is her favorite part of the superior temporal lobe and I could not remember if it was primary or secondary auditory cortex. For which I feel like a jackass right now. (It's primary.) (kicks self several more times)

Also, yeah, myelination continues until about age 18. Not basically done at age 3 or 4. That would be speech centers. Gack.

Oh, I am so much fun to be around right now, aren't I?

Geez.

Plumbing skillz, though, I has 'em - I replaced the inside of the valve on my shower and now, for the first time in about 4 years, it no longer leaks. I rule! I rule my shower, at least.

I am still getting used to the whole thing about being the only responsible adult in the house in some ways - if I don't fix something, or call a repairman who will fix it, the fixing doesn't happen. If I forget about it for a month, it's still there waiting for me to deal with. This seems to be a deeply buried thing. Not a big loud one, but still an oddness that I am adjusting to. Slowly.

In other news, I have a sort of brunch date Sunday. Pleasant enough person. We'll see--not especially optimistic or excited or anything. It's been one of those situations where the guy tries to keep up and mostly succeeds and I am sort of in performance mode and even more annoying and scary than usual. So if I can manage to not go into a lot of detail on molecular neuroscience, it should be okay. That's a big if lately, you may have noticed. I like there to be some give and take, and when I feel like I'm either a) the entertainment or b) totally blowing someone away, it's not good. It matters more to me to be myself than to edit extensively to make someone else not feel overwhelmed. I like to play. If I can't play, it isn't fun. Some people cope with me just fine; some don't.

Sigh.

Hm...what else...oh, apparently "Mamma Mia!" is wildly popular - I tried to meet some friends to see it Friday and it was sold out - doofus me had not brought the correct cell phone number to call and at least say "hi I'm here but I can't get in" - blah. (um, yeah, that's what the hell happened, L & C & D & everybody). At least I got to watch Dr. Who :)

I took my younger two to see "Space Chimps" yesterday. It was not as bad as one might expect - really quite okay. So if you're in 100 degrees F and need a place to escape to and have already exhausted all other options, this one won't make you barf.

Movies I want to see that are out now include: Hancock, Mongol, that one with Angelina Jolie in the time-slip thing with lots of explosions, The Hulk (yes, really), Iron Man (if I can find it anyplace), Hellboy, Mamma Mia, and the Batman movie. Summer is "great big explosion" season, and I like it. I also like slightly sillier music this time of year - more bouncy, danceable metal stuff than the rest of the year.

And no, I don't think I'm going to have time to see more than about half of them, but I can daydream. (I love my classes, but dang it, they do take up time)

That's the news, folks - see you around!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

David & I want to see "Hellboy". We usually wait until Netflix has it, but I may try to take him on a date this weekend.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Lynda the Guppy said...

I saw that Angelina Jolie movie (Wanted). It was FANTASTIC!!!!! Well done, the stunts were jaw-dropping (and as the daughter of a special effects guy, I'm hard to impress) and the storyline had enough twists and turns to keep me well-entertained.

Really really a great summer flick.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

You do realize that if you went into a lot of detail re molecular neuroscience in my company you would totally blow me away, and I would nod once in a while through my glassy-eyed look, and try really hard to change the subject to knitting. Or politics. Or collimated x-rays (about which I really do know more than I do about molecular neuroscience, but not much).

All of which is to say: the odds don't favor your dating (or knowing) anyone who is as smart as you, but that doesn't mean you have nothing in common.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home