Friday, July 04, 2008

Not a plumber, still, but AM a novice neuroscientist


I love my goddamn classes this summer. I love them. I love them.

Okay okay, so today? for "Brain & Behavior"? we went to an EEG lab and got to see the whole procedure and sit in on a neurologist going over some readings with a resident, and we understood what was going on and it was sooooo coooool.

And, and, and, for biochemistry, we had our first lab today, and we don't have quizzes at every frickin' lab session!! yay! and we're doing spectrin mutations (again), and I'm laughing that I'm thinking "oh, spectrin again," and it was fun. And I don't think I screwed anything up.

And now, I'm thinking that spectrin molecular structure is like navajo plying. Lots of DNA stuff reminds me of yarn structure - it supercoils all the time! like twisted cord! - and spectrin has two alpha helices coiled around each other and sort of makes a Z shape with a third piece that goes back down and connects to another repeat of the whole thing. I cannot shake this notion.

Last lecture was ALL Math! It was great! Like being in a really wonderful, straightforward trig-based proof or something. We went through Michaelis-Menton equations and derived all the versions for different enzyme conditions. WAY fun. I forgot how much I love math.

Oh, yeah! Happy 4th of July! Hope you all get to geek out hardcore about something you love.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

Rather you than me, is all I can say. My verification string is thphlgo, which is about the noise I make when called upon to do math.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love popping over for a big dose of enthusiasm. I find that structures and machines that of the microscopic world mimic those of the larger world. (Hmm, maybe it's the other way around.) A consequence of the universality of physics?

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home