Sunday, April 09, 2006

Quiet day.
Well, not a lot of knitting. An awful lot of emailing about coop stuff; it's amazing how time consuming it can be, sometimes. I'm still recovering from dealing with the taxes, too. It may also be, oh, maybe a teensy bit that I stayed up til almost 3 a.m. reading, uh, knitting blogs. Crazy Aunt Purl, for example. Geez!

At the moment I'm knitting peacefully while watching the movie Troy. DS's idea, you understand. This is fundamentally not a great movie, but there are some things I like. I like that somebody figured out wise and persuasive things for Odysseus to say. I like the visual impact of what a thousand ships would have actually looked like. I like the costumes. I like Eric Bana's performance as Hector, especially the way his relationship with his wife is written--a mature man, with a very smart woman. Characters that are actually grown-ups are thin on the ground in movies.

That's true of almost anything, isn't it? It's really difficult to convey the complexity of a fully functioning adult--there's a lot to us. Full awareness of a wide range of stuff, judgment, balance; needs a novel, really. Even then, you still just get glimpses. I started one last year, when dh was traveling and I missed him so terribly that I kept writing and writing. It's not bad. I think I'll put some more time into it and see what happens.

Oh, and the malabrigo? Still totally lovin' it. Hoo-ah.

To Jenny, who isn't Kat? Yikes!! Can't even get it right when I kinda get it right. Sorry. Not Jennifer, then. Folkcat Jenny. Got it. Thanks. No, Lucia, I haven't managed to confuse you with any other Lucia, although given the way I've been going lately, it's possible that I might later. And Erica, that chocolate is overdue. Thank goodness it's Easter, er, chocolate season.

Hope to see people Wed. at Javaroom!


2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

No biggie, Liz. Common mistake. Apparently more people in my generation were named Jennifer than just Jenny. Lucky me. ;)

Explaining about my actual name has been better since I became an adult. As a child, being named for a poem called "Jenny Kissed Me" was terminally embarassing! Now I'm able to see it as sweet.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I won't quote it at you, Jenny, but I've always loved that poem! After many, many years I have learned to smile when people (rarely these days, luckily)sing "Santa Lucia" to me, even though 1) it's the wrong pronunciation 2) I'm no saint.

I agree about the novel, Liz. I hope your writing becomes one.

I just got my first guffaw of the day -- scrolled down to see the word-verification letters. They are x, followed (I swear) by four letters of which the first is f.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home