Monday, August 14, 2006

Summer busy-ness


We’ve been busy. Not with knitting so much, but busy. I finally got out the scary hedge clipping power tool and got the bushes looking like the house is inhabited. Voila!

I do love power tools. I worry constantly with this one that I’m going to cut through the power cord. I used to use the manual clipping shears out of sheer terror about slicing up a child or my leg or the house. Unfortunately, doing it that way takes all day long. So take that, you hedges, you! have at you! ha! ha! and ha!

Youngest child has been reading a lot of Garfield (shudder), so he began asking me to make lasagna a couple of weeks ago. Today, we had lasagna.

We discovered that little guy does not, in point of fact, like lasagna. Not as such. Ah, well; dh and oldest child did. I did, too, but as the children remind me, I eat calamari and my opinions on food are therefore utterly worthless.

I took the dog for a brief walk before the kids were up this morning, and a longer one after lunch. This has the dual purpose of exercising the dog and exercising me. I’ve been taking a little guidance from The Hacker's Diet: eat fewer calories than you burn (it's subitled, "How to lose weight and hair through stress and poor nutrition"). Also exercise, even if it’s only the most miniscule amount. So I started doing situps and such. The Hacker Diet acknowledges that an exercise program (shudder) that takes too long isn’t going to get done. There’s a list of things to do; you do some. You try and pay attention to eating fewer calories than you burn. Who cares what, exactly, the calories come from? If it’s 2000 calories’ worth of Cheetos and Jolt, fine; just stop eating when you’re supposed to. And do a couple of situps. My kinda diet, I'm telling you.

We’ve also been watching The Dog Whisperer, which is fun. The notion (among other things) is that dogs need to exercise and they need to settle into following their pack leader; hence the walk. Walks. Daisy (the dog) has been having a spiffy time following me nicely, beside or just behind me. At the moment, she’s totally pooped.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Eating less calories than you burn, eh? Now why couldn't I think of that? ;-)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

We are Dog Whisperer addicts in our house. Not that we own a dog mind you, we just find him so very entertaining. The doggie backpacks are just too funny and the doggies on the treadmill? Tee hee. On vacation we even corrupted my SIL (who does indeed have a dog) into watching a little DW. What's worse, Jason tries to use the "shhhht" on the cats and the looks they give him are very amusing.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I completely LOVE the Dog Whisperer. The part that always gets me is when he has to remind the owners that their dogs are, actually, DOGS, not people, and need to be treated as such. And that they're happier and more secure when they know what the pack rules are.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home