Friday, May 02, 2008

Another day, another staggering mountain of work


So it's May 2, already, and I sort of missed how that happened owing to the not having slept more than three hours. The shift from April 30 th May 1 I sort of missed. Ditto the May 1/May 2 changeover. Um, yeah.

BUT - I did get my paper finished and uploaded with two minutes to spare! huzzah! After finishing with the mind-blowing lab report I turned in on Tuesday, I started (!) the reading in earnest for the paper. Yes, this Tuesday. That would be me, not sleeping, just reading Edward Said as he lapses into French when he's talking about the French colonization of Egypt. In fact he quotes Hugo, fairly gratuitously: "Au Nil je le retrouve encore./L'Egypte resplendit des feux de son aurore" - Ed! baby! poopsie! Je parle un tres petit peau de francais seulement, sweetheart! you're killin' me, here!

I really love reading Said and am deeply sorry that he's dead, but at three in the morning, this I did not need.

Anyhow, there were apparently some explosions near my apartment. No, I wasn't there, dears, and I'm fine, and I'll go check on things tomorrow. Quite close by, but not actually on my street; I'm guessing the power is out.

Nearly time to watch the replay of Doctor Who! Oh, boy! And my daughter's performance tonight in "Midsummer Night's Dream"? Le awesome. Oui, tres awesome. Later, all.

Oh: gratuitously fun thing here. Thanks, K.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Only a little skin of French, eh? A Canadian classmate of mine said her standard answer when asked if she spoke French was "un petit pois" (a little pea).

1:21 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh, if you didn't follow the quote, it translates (more or less) as "I'm returning again to the Nile/Egypt glitters with the fire of her dawn."

1:34 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Tish, you spoke French!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home