Sunday, December 21, 2008

Powerless – The Postscript: Dispatch from a disaster area



We had one remaining wire across the driveway, and the plow guy almost snapped it a few days ago. I called Comcast last night, and was able to remain calm and reasonable and everything. Didn't even cry once. The young lady put the work request in for "escalation," which I guess is the magic word, and this morning, a cable guy was putting the wire up out of the way - huzzah! Hazard-free house!

Not half an hour after the cable guy left, my plow guy called. "um, do you still have a--" "Wire across my driveway? No, the cable guy just left. It's safe to plow. Thank you. Sorry you had a scare the other day."

And not long ago, said plow guy came, and plowed, and got stuck in the two feet of snow for a bit, and then got out, and made it possible for me to get out. More huzzahs! Cheer! General merriment!

For those keeping track, the snow that started Friday still hasn't stopped. It is baaaaaad out there. My neighbors didn't cancel their holiday gathering, so I walked over and had some absurdly strong gluug (which E. assures me he no longer makes using grain alcohol).

I had to shovel snow off the roof of the porch. Ice and snow had backed up and water was coming down through the doorjamb from the kitchen to the pantry. For those of you who know the house, it's at the back, off my room; it doesn't have a railing, & is mostly just a roof. With a door going onto it.

I love New England, I really do. But I am grateful for internet shopping, in a big way.

I think I'll try and make some of these for a child or two. Not optimistic, but stranger things have happened. It is just dawning on me that I have some evenings free, and that I won't be spending them trying to supply my own power. Whoo hoo! (I've knitted up that pattern before, and it went quickly; this is why it's remotely possible that it could maybe kinda sorta actually happen)

I hope you all have electricity! Keep warm, everybody. Mel, you & D. especially - your adventures have been no picnic.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

We still have power, but my car is completely buried and there are some rather worrisome ice dams along the front of the house. Could be a lot worse.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

The mittens should fly, you'll be shocked. I made 2 of the hats in under a week a few years ago...

:)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I'm so glad you're empowered again. I read in the Globe this morning that Fitchburg and 3 other towns still don't have power, and apparently some people are getting a bit irritable. Cranky New Englanders.

Over the weekend Grant gave the driveway two blowj... er, passes with the snowblower, the second last night shortly after it all finally stopped, which made this morning much easier. I am way, way behind on my shopping, and not sure how much I care.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sincerely hope that you did not shovel the roof after imbibing gluug at the neighbor's holiday party.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

I'm glad to hear that you finally have power back! We're lucky to have had ours back since last Sunday, but not so lucky in that we often are stuck trying to figure out where to put our cars to be able to get in, since the plow company doing our apartment complex is wicked lazy and has actually filled in some of the spots that we all have cleaned out by hand. I got stuck twice yesterday - in my AWD never gets stuck Subaru.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home