Friday, June 29, 2007

Tweet!


A pair of birds have been hanging around the front of our house. I go out, drink my coffee in the morning quiet, and two birds watch me. They usually sit on the utility wire. I go out there most mornings, get the paper, check on the plants, water if it's been dry. Our one outdoor cat tends to go out, too, and often joins me on the porch.

I kept seeing what seemed to be the same pair, over and over again, so I looked them up in the bird book; they're house finches. Houses are where they like to be generally. These particular house finches like the look of things chez Weasel, I guess. When I watered the hanging plants Wednesday morning, there was a little circle of twigs in the middle of one of the plants. Yesterday morning, it was a complete nest! They work fast.

The finches now think they own the place. Tweet, tweet, tweet when I water "their" plant. They perch and glare at me while I drink my coffee. They were pissed off when I peeked at how the nest looks today (flutter! flutter! TWEET!). Still, they knew I was a factor before they moved in.

We're getting ready to go on a trip; it's been difficult. I put off making final arrangements until the last possible minute, from the habit of needing to wait to finalize until I can make sure it's all okay with...oh. I knew the planning would make me burst into tears at weird times, but I'm still doing it. I like travel. I do realize it's going to suck sometimes, but I still like it.

So I'm bustling and readying, crying and moping and eating too many cookies. Bustle, bustle.

Flutter, flutter.

Tweet.



5 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

I love house finches. My folks had a nesting pair in the eaves of their side porch several years ago. We used a different entrance until the babies had fledged so as not to disturb, but we used to watch them through the door and they seemed to take it all in stride.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

Good luck with the travel, particularly the trip that you are taking. This will be difficult, but you are a wise woman and you know that. You have faced many trials since September and this may very well be one of the most trying. May God grant you the strength that you need to get through it all. You will return a stronger woman, with another modicum of healing in your grieving process. And when you are home, know that you can lean on any (or all!) of us to work through the inevitable stuff that this will bring to the surface.

:hug:

2:29 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You are pushing your way through this grieving process admirably. I hope the trip is everything you expect it to be.

7:53 AM  
Blogger YawnOver said...

We are on week three of a purple finch takeover of our hanging geranium basket (and hence our front porch) and now have three darling fluffy finch babies to show for it. (I have some pictures on my site.) Funny how "Peep peep peep" can actually sound pissed off :) All I can say is, be prepared to kiss that hanging basket goodbye...

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love warm quiet mornings with my coffee on the deck watching the wild things in the backyard.

As far as traveling goes, make lots of lists.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home