Thursday, June 14, 2007

At last!


Two "finally!" items - item the first:

Dear daughter found a Youtube version of this for me. It's the grand prize winning anime music video from Anime Boston last year. I love the song, and the experience of watching this incredibly moving thing with thousands of twenty-somethings who were as moved as I was (probably more so) was a revelation. You look at a crowd of fairly snarky people dressed outlandishly and think, uh-oh, defenses on high, here. But what happened while this showed on a big screen was something very different. For anyone else who really doesn't get what this anime thing is about or why people like it so much, this is a step toward understanding what it is fans are responding to:


Thing the second: I bought a bunch of plants, and...they are now all in the ground. Yay! I hope the few things I've started from seed survive nicely, too, but I have purchased plants. This feels like cheating. Some things are growing, which is a pleasant surprise and a lesson in faith, frankly, but what with the woodchuck family and the deer and the rabbits, I kind of needed to hedge my bets. So thanks to the wondrousness that is Lexington Gardens, chez Weasel now has a garden plot with: eggplant (because youngest thinks it is hilarious that there is something called an egg plant); tomatillo (which I have never grown; we may soon see why, but fingers crossed); brandywine tomato (purchased for the name alone); supersweet 100 tomato (these grow like a weed when I've had them before--fabulous!); some more pole beans (and it is galling, but yes, I did buy bean plants. just a couple. just in case the woodchuck gets my scarlet runner beans.); zinnias; onion sets (I've never grown these but another homeschooling mom has had great luck with them); a few pumpkin plants; and a few cucumber plants. This in addition to the random strawberries and mint and previously planted other varieties of tomato. I moved some of the more absurd strawberries and sort of have all of them in the same general zone of the garden now. I also weeded. A bunch.

Um, I now recall that I am the only member of the family that likes tomatoes. Oops.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

You can send me your extra tomatoes. Just saying.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I adore tomatoes but cannot have them on the Diet From Hell. Please eat one for me.

If you could post the dog outside at night, that would probably take care of the woodchuck problem. Of course, if you have coyotes, it might take care of the dog too. You might try having her pee in and around the garden (not actually on the plants, of course).

11:08 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

And if there are too many tomatoes for Carole, I'd be happy to take some. Or maybe she and I could arm wrestle for them (we won't discuss who may be more likely to win).

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can bring your leftover tomatoes to my annual Salsa making day (TBD).

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

Our solution to the problem of too many tomatoes in my house is to throw extras in the blender and fill up freezer bags with them. Then in the middle of winter you have fresh tomatoes to make homemade sauce - just defrost, throw in the CrockPot with some chopped veggies and spices, leave it alone for a few hours.

Or feed the tomato-loving knitters. :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

In terms of the tomatillos, make sure you stake them very well ie. very tall tomatoe cage. The vines are very thin and bend and break easily, but are fun to grow. Not many ripen at the same time so several plants may be better than one. At Drumlin farm they let them fall to the ground without much ill effect in their demonstration garden. Have fun!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video really is impressive -- afterwards, I found myself reading up about the series/film/whatever one calls it, and the whole thing sounded intriguing. We are not ready for anime around here yet, since the girls are still scared by the occasional Backyardigans episode, but I can definitely see how it would catch their interest when they're a little older.

The garden sounds wonderful; we have not had the chance to plant anything yet, and I suspect the time to do so has passed. Props to you for getting it done, and enjoy the tomatoes!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home