Monday, May 07, 2007

A bit of randomness


Okay, yes, I realize that all my posts are essentially random. Moving along.

Today's mail included this:

I am mystified. Who knew there was a backgammon lifestyle? and that Hugh Hefner would be a major player in said lifestyle? We live and learn.

This week's reason for Why I Haven't Posted in Nearly a Week is...I was trying to get gardening done first so I could post triumphantly about that. I still can't decide where to plant things, though, so the meager results of far too many hours yesterday:

I had to find hooks with which to hang the two baskets (yes, I know you see only one basekt. There is another one that is identical on the other side of the porch.). Then I had to find screws with which to attach the hooks. Then we were at our familiar impasse with the mysteriously missing drill bits, with which I would have liked to make guide holes for the screws that hold up the hooks that hold up the baskets. No such luck. I used a very thin nail instead, and hammered as gently as possible on the ancient wood of the house. It worked just fine, and now, the front of the house looks a little bit prettier. Yay! It took me about two hours, between searching for hardware and all.

Last bit: It's been about twenty years since I've written a timed essay--an odd experience, to say the least. Apparently I passed the writing test I took on Harvard's website, so I am officially eligible to take the required writing course whenever I so choose. Yay! It wasn't very difficult. I'd have been really annoyed if my writing somehow wasn't up to snuff. I've been teaching essay writing of one kind or another at the homeschooling coop for a couple of years now; good to know I can still do an okay job of writing my own dang essay.

On the book pile: Uncle Tom's Cabin; Darwin's Origin of Species; I'm Grieving as Fast as I Can; and, still, Emergence. I'm enjoying them all, in different ways.

Hello, Carla, and Lorena, and everybody, yes, I do plan to go to Rhinebeck this year. Not sure how to manage the kids, but I'll figure it out. Not as optimistic about NH Sheep and Wool this coming weekend, though--the annual carnival is in town this weekend, too, though Mother's Day may be enough of an impetus that I'll manage it in the end.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

Would it be just you or you and the kids going to NH, and which day would you go? It looks like I'll be driving on Sat.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going up Saturday morning too.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.

The flowers look lovely!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on keepin' on! BTW, Darwin also wrote about movement in plants. It came up at a seminar today. Apparently plants sense auxin directly through some of the ubiquitin ligating machinery. Not neuro, I know.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Squee! Squee! Rhinebeck! Ooo, can we meet? I've been wanting to give you a big in-person bear hug ever since I first got your name in Secret Pal. I promise I'm not stalker-crazy, just fiber-crazy. Squee! Rhinebeck! (re-reading this makes me think I might be 12, with the squeeing and the excitement and nerdiness and stuff...)

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is Rhinebeck planning time, isn't it? Can you believe I've lived in NY for two Rhinebeck fests and I haven't attended on yet? And.I'm.In.Driving.Distance! I'm definitely going this year!

As for a backgammon lifestyle.. I'm actually not all that shocked. Every hobby has a lifestyle these days :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

Yet another year that I won't go to Rhinebeck - but really, it's a week or two after my wedding, so I doubt that Dave would be too understanding. :)

See you tonight?

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home