Tuesday, May 01, 2007

In a good groove


So we're having one of those days Chez Weasel where, just for a few minutes, things actually are the way you fantasize homeschooling will be like. I was sitting at the kitchen table with youngest, helping him with his Latin conjugations, while I quietly worked on Charlotte's Web (the shawl, not the book). Older two kids were working steadily on math. Classical radio station playing in background. And it's a nice day out, to boot. Ahhhhhh. The kids all got a respectable amount of stuff done, so we've called Official Quitting Time for the day, and they can do whatever the heck they want. The fantasy continues, as oldest is organizing violin music from past years' study, middle is reading, and both of them will be off to their martial arts class in a bit. Youngest is joyfully noodling on a mom-approved website.

Proof that the socks are indeed done - this is my feet up, wearing the socks, with a glass of amaretto, taken Friday after the ridiculous driving day.


About Charlotte's Web: I figured out where I went wrong, I think, and have made an executive decision that since the stitch count finally came out right, the damn thing is now right. Whether it's actually right or not.

Replies to various comments, since I persist in being unable to figure out how to reply directly to you all without resorting to Drastic Measures - those would be, "looking up your email addresses," and/or "switching to Haloscan." Both sound like more work than posting answers. So! In no particular order! Lucia: I have no idea what you're talking about--mileage improvement? other than simply driving the smaller car? I must be missing something. Sorry :( but thank you, I think I'm a pretty good mom, on balance. Farm-witch: ooo, no need to bribe; ideal bag is large, able to stand up without falling over, water resistant on the bottom (because I put things in puddles by mistake a lot), and bewitchingly beautiful. Oh, and the handles are long enough to go over the shoulder and don't disintegrate. Mel: yeah, if the rumored bag ban goes through, I'm going to have to spend actual money on cat litter disposal containers of some sort, which is a drag. Also, yes, those Danes know how to party. Jena: You are a wine nazi, but correct; I do not yet deserve wine. I shall repent my lack of progress on poor youngest's gloves and strive to be worthy. [Note: she is rightly amazed that the gloves are still not done and offered to buy me a glass of wine at Javaroom if I finished them by...last week.]

Thank you, Carole, and Ruth, and also Suzanne and Old Round and Carla. And Lynne. I'm excited about the course and trying to bone up on biology in time to not be totally clueless by the time the class starts.

Youngest and I were the first ones up today, so we had a nice chat and went out so that I could vote (I wrote in my Pilates teacher for selectman) (in addition to voting for an old friend) and littlest could choose a nice bully stick for the dog's birthday present. We had a really lovely morning together. Again, ahhhhhhhh.

It is the dogs' birthday! She is 3. She has just helpfully finished middle child's pasta for her. Fantasy over now, I think. 'Til later, all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

Aren't those brief fantasy moments great? And then we go back to regularly scheduled bedlam...

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those little glimpses into what it could be like. I'm sure things will return to chaos and bedlam soon, so enjoy the bliss while it lasts. LOL!

I'm looking forward to my bliss - four days of no kid. Of course I have to sacrifice by getting her to the school tomorrow morning at some ungodly, and dark hour.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious, what math do you use? Planning on jumpstarting one kid over the summer. Saxon? Any good?

Can't help you with the email/blogger thing. I've barely got typepad figgered out.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

The wine offer stands for whenever they get finished. (Or an adult coffee beverage, for that matter... it doesn't have to be wine.) Just get 'em done! :)

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home