Sunday, June 25, 2006

Happy feet





The Socks That Rock are Finished Objects (tada!). I had some "oh, crap" moments working on them, as the Wed. night crew might recall, but as it turned out, the unintentional decreasing too many times on the instep with compensating increasing turned out to make the socks fit perfectly. They feel wonderful. Yay!

Yes, I have high arches. Yes, I have big feet. Nope, I did not use up the whole skein. It's color Lapis.

We've had a busy weekend. DD#2 and I went to see the Red Sox play the Phillies yesterday. This was my first time at Fenway Park. The field is so much smaller than I expected! Gee. The crowd was in a party mood, enough to sing along with the song stylings of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline," which was ... surprising. I laughed my head off. I couldn't help it - I kept picturing the funky hairdo, the sequins, and I was overcome. We left midway through the 9th to zoom home in time for DH and I to drive back into Boston (don't ask, the logistics were mind-blowing) for a reception and dedication ceremony for a library being established in memory of my wonderful, brilliant, sadly departed uncle. The foundation took the family (including dh & I) out to dinner afterwards--another surprise for the week was that the Top of the Hub is a really, really good restaurant. And here I'd been thinking it was a cheesy tourist trap--not so. Fantastic.

And England won! Not prettily, but they go on to the next round. Now, Argentina vs. Germany, that'll be some amazing footie. Oh, yeah. Time to go watch Portugal vs. Netherlands - it's the half, and the beautiful Christian Ronaldo, #17, is out of the game with an injured leg. Poor thing. He's quite stunning to look at. See what I mean?

There were some design deadlines last week, and I've noticed that I've hated the last several deadlines I had with a blinding passion. So I didn't submit anything to anyplace and am contentedly making things of my own choosing. It's helping. I like this.

The week's last surprises: Our cats do a good job keeping down the rodents, but this week, they managed to kill a bat. In the house. I have no idea how it got inside the house. Based on the evidence, I'd say the cats had a pretty good time hunting it. Our front hallway now houses a new, tiny fridge, to take care of the things the big, broken fridge can't handle, and I'm finding this weird new arrangement oddly pleasing. Perhaps it is the satisfaction of unloading and setting it up all by myself. Yucky surprise: my laptop doesn't remember that I am allowed to install software, so I am still unable to print or scan. The lady at the RMV was actually helpful, so the car registration is now renewed.

And yes, Lucia, I have calmed down a bit. Thanks. See you around, everybody!

(um, my birthday is tomorrow. happy weasel turns 42.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Happy early birthday! I hope it brings you lots of yarn and nothing even vaguely rodent-like, no matter how proficient the cats are.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

There's a lot of speculation where the Sweet Caroline habit came from. They actually did a small spot on NPR about it a few months ago. But they do it, EVERY HOME GAME!

My applications scientist used to be a bartender at Top of the Hub, glad you liked it!

See you soon!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Happy early birthday! Dare I ask how the refrigerator got broken during the bat hunt?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Happy birthday, dear Weasel! I still think you should celebrate by doing something startling.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I have the name of a bat guy if you need it!!
Kathleen

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

Oh, the Sweet Caroline thing makes no sense, but it's fantastic. :)

Happy birthday, by the way - I'm behind in blogging, so I missed it. My apologies! :)

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home