Thursday, January 26, 2006


It's here, it's here!
The mailman brought the new toys today! Whee!
Aren't they splendid? Aren't they beautiful? The wooden swift even smells good - a lot like a new set of Scrabble tiles. I am officially enchanted with the items themselves, and the fact of having them in the house. This is Good.

In other news....the design submittals did, indeed, get delivered. We had a few minutes of panic when the interestingly colored file folders I normally use to present design sketches and swatches were nowhere to be found. That was not fun. So I went down to the local shops and hunted around and found nearly nothing, but did go into the new scrapbooking shop on the off chance they might have something that would serve. And they did! It took a few minutes to describe accurately what I was trying to find, which was not, admittedly, helped by my being a bit on the wild-eyed and frantic side. But I went home with some colored cardstock that made simply lovely presentations. Yay. So if there's anything exciting to report, I will.

Now, I occasionally do something that is not knitting. The current project-in-progress is truly, unspeakably cool, if I do say so myself. Here's how it looks so far:


This is done with a kit I bought from The Fiber Loft a couple of years ago, at the TKGA Northeast Conference. I was floored at the time, and now that I'm finally spending the time and doing this, I'm floored still. The finished product is pretty amazing.

The kit is made by a shop, or company, in Tokyo called Mokuba. The technique is called Free Lace. The possibilities for it are mind-blowing, to me, anyway. The trick to it is the water-soluble adhesive and topper material. If it can be sourced, that would be really, really cool. Nihon Vogue put out a book of amazing things one can make with this stuff. It is the sort of thing that not everyone would like, but to my taste, it's fabulosity.

Can you tell I'm excited? More as it develops.

A thank you to Ruth for the encouraging words as I (sob) frogged (sob) the sock. She did agree that it was ridiculously tighter than the first one, so much so that she asked what the heck had been causing so much stress over the last week. Thanks, Ruth. Also for stopping me from cutting off the circulation in my fingers as I wound the frogged yarn. The re-birth of the sock is underway. Ain't life grand?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

That's what friends are for!! You'll whip that new sock out in no time.

I got a swift and winder for Christmas ... they're my favorite new toys.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

I got a swift and winder for Cmas TOO! I love them. I wander around looking for any yarn that can be wound or occassionaly rewound. It's soooo cool and satisfying. Lovely snow pictures...and the project is cool, but I'm not sure I understand what it is...that's probably just me.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog AND leaving a comment!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home