Sunday, October 12, 2008

Checking in...


Sheepishly, to be sure. Jeez, last published on Sept. 26??? wow.

So still kicking ass, still taking names - at least until the two midterms I have this week. Had a chem exam this week which was absurdly easy; a classmate and I sat in the hallway afterward going, holy crap that was easy, and other people trickled out muttering about how hard it was. We stared, eyes wide. She said, I think we screwed the curve. I have a paper to work on, have finished my assigned reading for the week, done my lab report, and need to study for the aforementioned exams, but I'm feeling on top of things.

The world has been crashing down around our ears, hasn't it? I'm counting my blessings and hoping for the best, mostly. I stopped driving the minivan regularly this winter - I think I've driven it two or three times since January, including the time I took it for inspection. I've only taken it to the gas station once this year. The little Honda uses *half* the gas. Pretty easy decision. I'm pleased that I took some of my money and bought the apartment in the city - it seems to be the safest investment I could have possibly made. And I'm intensely glad that I'm nearly done with my degree. Because if everything goes to hell, I'll be reasonably employable. I've switched to a way less expensive health insurance plan, which thanks to Massachusetts' mandate for coverage, is also a really good one--larger risk pool and all that. My mortgage rate is absurdly low for another two years. Worst case scenario still looks survivable. When we pray, we pray for mercy, not justice, my husband once said, and mercy sounds about rught for the craziness that keeps unfolding.

I'm pleased and a little scared that Obama's doing so well lately. Pleased, because I really want him to win. And a little scared because so many things could go horribly wrong. Sigh. The sign in my front yard has so far not been stolen - most of the Obama signs around town disappear. It's depressing.

Am torn about whether I want to go to Rhinebeck after all. I do want to visit my sister, and visit with all the fiber folk who'll be there, but I'm also feeling like curling up in a ball. And there's an anime event going on that the kids would like. And and and. Blah. Harrumph. Grumble, grumble, grump.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

I'm not going, and while I know it's the right decision, I am still grumpy about it.

Hey ... if you don't go, we could get togther and commiserate!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No Rhinebeck for me, but I am looking forward to the Fiber Twist.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'll be bummed if you don't make it to Rhinebeck, but I'll probably get over it. Eventually.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Alas, no Rhinebeck for me this year either... :-(

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I am going, and there's a space in my car...

Totally agree re Obama. McShame seems to have dialed back on the incitement to violence just a bit. I keep joking about what I'll do if he wins (see latest post), but I'm still nervous.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the minivan: I let mine sit all summer (no A/C) and just had to get a mega-brake job done. Here's why: the brake fluid got thick, left a ridge, and forced the calipers out so that the brakes were just slightly on all the time - by the time I found out why, not only were the wheels hot, the _tires_ were hot and the whole thing was smoking enough to make strangers honk at me and point. So get somebody to clean off the brake fluid that is now sticking your front disc brakes together and save yourself some money. And "exercise the van" every week at least.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home