Monday, December 18, 2006

Surprise


I'm surprised that it's been so long since last post, but then I have no time sense any more. Ah, well. Hi!

I did recover from the ass-kicking that was the reconstructed I-93 ramps. It took somewhat longer to recover from the ass-kicking that was the few glasses of wine while out with some friends on Tuesday night. Purely in the interest of science, we note for the record that the combination of hangover + caffeine withdrawal headache = desperately non-functional Weasel. Oh, god, it was sucky on Wednesday. Except for seeing the gals; that part was fun (hi!). I have since realized that losing 15 pounds significantly alters my drinking capacity. We will not forget this again any time soon.

Onward to Thursday, in which I had my last session of Neuroscience for Kids (which I've been teaching) (based on the website linked--it's pretty cool stuff, IMHO) (but then I'm a geek). The surprise there was that I had comparatively little trouble getting my microscope to focus so the kids could look at neurons.

And we got home and Surprise! The answering machine informed me that my husband's headstone had been installed. Yay? I guess? I'm glad, but I honestly can't find a way to express how that feels, or even inform people about it. It's overwhelmingly sad, but also good, and grim, and final, and what the hell do I say anyway? "Want to come see it with me?" Boy, does that sound like a good time or what? I mean, really. "Hi, just letting you know, there's a gravestone in now. Want to see pictures?" Well, not especially, I'm guessing, is most people's feeling. So I probably am not going to post one. I think he would approve of the stone: very simple, black granite, no foo-foo crap on it. So I spent a bunch of time crying on Friday, visiting the grave in daylight and putting some Christmas decorations there, like you do. Or would, had you occasion so to do. Which I do. Do be do be do.

Well, then we just had all kinds of fun all over the place. Which was lovely. (Thank you, Lynne and Lynne, for yesterday)

And then today, a package came from my secret pal! surprise! hurray! Look at the nifty stuff! Whee! Thanks, Selkie (and no, I have not figured out who you really are other than your general location)! The homemade chex mix is yummy. There is chocolate. There is coffee. And there are spiffy Knitpicks sock needles for me to play with, which is great 'cause that's on the list of things I want to do. The picture is in my trademark slightly-out-of-focus, and it is also difficult to see just how lovely the colors of the yarn are. You will simply have to trust me on this--they're lovely.


5 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm sure seeing the headstone must have been difficult. Glad to see your getting out a bit and having some fun with friends, too.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the yarn! And you are going to love the knitpicks sock needles!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

That yarn looks great... so does everything else, for that matter. I wish I could have been in two places at once yesterday. (Maybe next year.) Hope to see you at knitting, anyway.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jena said...

I'm glad that there was some levity to balance the seriousness of the phone call. And cookies! Don't forget cookies! Cookies make everything better. (I wonder if the biscotti I made have much caffeine in them? I should experiment... biscotti that cure headaches...)

See you tomorrow and Friday! :)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that you liked everything! And I hear that Lisa Souza yarn cures all kinds of ills, too, so... knit those puppies up! :-)

Best holiday wishes,
SP9 Selkie

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home