Sunday, December 10, 2006

Some days are like that, even in Australia


It's been one of those days.

I got the kids up and moving and got the Christmas tree stand out of the attic and we went and bought a Christmas tree, and we got it home, and I moved some furniture, and got the tree into the house, and then...I broke the stand. Tree, sideways on the floor, we hope (fervently) not dripping sap onto the carpet. Because we had to GO! OUT!

We had to leave for the city, drop off a kid, take other two kids to my aunt's for a brief "happy 40th" for my cousin, then get back to pick up kid...and I got my ass handed to me by the Big Dig. I was so sure I was going the right way, and then...I wasn't. I was affronted. I was pissed. How dare the ramp off Storrow Drive be so irreversible so early and unfixable for so long? Goddamnit. I know exactly how to get to my aunt's house, but I got friggin' lost. (Insert many, many bad words here.) The children got a tour with colorful commentary of the chemical storage facilities in Chelsea and environs. Most delightful. Oh, wait--not.

The trip back from aunt's to Cambridge was no better--I got sucked into the vortex of "wait, I want 93 south but I DO NOT want the damn Williams tunnel! oh, god! what the hell happened to Storrow Drive??" and driving through the airport (WTF??) following signs that say "airport exit" but which in fact direct you to the taxi storage lot. Oh, it was special, in a way that I would need to be physically present to make fully manifest for you. Of course I was running out of gas, too, which only added to the excitement--nightmare scenarios flashed by, of being stuck in some hellhole of a tunnel god knows where, out of gas and with a child who for once does not have a cell phone with her waiting in vain for mom to pick her up.

We were not amused.

We're all fine now, home safe and sound, new tree stand purchased (after going to three stores, of course) (there is no part of this operation that will go smoothly, it is clear), tree up, more lights up on outside of house, and now...I'm drinking some very good bourbon. Thank you, witchypoo, most fervently. Knob Creek, with some orange juice and sugar, and it's going down very nicely indeed.

I've made a something or two (whee!) for my secret pal, and have a something in the works (whee!), and so, well, some knitting is happening. Just not of a sort that can come out on the internets.

I am grateful beyond all description for Lynne and Lynne and Tattoo Queen and my aunt and the huge insane clan that is my family and my kids and the dog and all four cats and A Neighbor Guy (long story), and the neighbors across the street, and Jena and Lucia and Lynne again and Melinda and Monique for asking us over. Thank you. (Okay, I know a whole bunch of those don't read this, but still.)

When the day hands you your ass, you better sit the hell down. I'm a-sittin', and I'm stayin' right here. See a bunch of you at Javaroom. Cheers!


9 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Sounds like, um, fun.

Or at least the bourbon part does.

My verification word is "froscay", which sounds like it should mean something.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Sounds like quite a fezzle. Hope that's the last day of that sort that you have for a very long while.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

Yeesh! It sounds like the day that just wasn't meant to be.

Hopefully today is better... though I have doubts that a Monday can ever be better than a weekend.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once, I had to go pickup a soccer teammate for a game. I could see his house from 93, but couldn't figure out how to get there. Very, very frustrating.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We probably crossed paths. I had to pick up my mom and dad at the airport - easy to get in there, not so easy to get out. We also got the tree up this weekend.

What's up with the neighborhood guy!!???

12:20 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I hated driving in Boston quite enough when I knew where everything was. Sounds like the strategy of inadequate signage (if you don't know where you're going, why are you here?) continues unabated. Yay for Lynne and bourbon, and cheers to you!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, lordy, do I hate driving in Boston. Last spring I drove in an increasingly frustrated circle around the Museum of Science trying to find a place to park, please help me, God.

Glad you're all home safe and sound, and that the bourbon was fine. Hope to see you soon.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're grateful beyond all description to have you in our lives as well. I enjoy every conversation, and am so happy to have you as my friend. See you soon *hug*

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. Glad everything worked out eventually. Sorry it was such a difficult day.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home