Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Vote, also other goodnesses



Yes, of course I voted. Of course I cried. Why? My darling husband's name has been taken off the rolls already, which I suppose is good, all things considered. He'd only just gotten citizenship in 2003. He really wanted to vote.

There are good things coming this night - for one thing, Rick Santorum is now the ex-senator from Pennsylvania. Steve would have liked that.

DD#2 got her yellow belt in tae kwon do tonight. He would have liked that, too.

And my secret pal sent an amazing package of wonderful things! I'm amazed. Lookie:

There's a spindle in there with the roving--A SPINDLE!!!--and not one but two instruction sets for how to spin, and there are stitch markers in that gold box, and the soap and candles smell lovely, and and and she spun the yarn. Which is so pretty. And I love all of it. Thank you so, so much, Selkie!

I spent some time this morning for the first time in too-many weeks with the gals; thank you all, for putting up with me and my little black raincloud. Hope the I-cord instruction made up for the nattering on (and on) about registering a death of a UK citizen and my insane, dysfunctional family (yes, they keep on being dysfunctional under all possible circumstances, people; be warned, and plan accordingly). Also thank you for the pie, Kathleen. YUM.

JENA is having a VERY SPECIAL EVENT in the NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE and I am so thrilled for you, kiddo, and all joy and happiness to you and the dude. Who is a dude of goodness, make no mistake. Yay! Go, you guys!

So there you have it, life going on, getting used to all the crying still and whoohoo, I'm now administratrix (doesn't that sound like a bondage thing?) of my darling husband's estate, which means the court agrees that I'm in charge. Yay. It makes a difference, actually; I am somehow not so much on tippy-toes about the house. Gulp. Still have more legal crap to come, I'm sure, and the medical bills have only just begun, but on the whole, things are okay. To quote my dear departed grandmother, who was such a hypochodriac that she took snapshots of her illnesses and rashes so that she could SHOW YOU if you happened to MISS the TERRIBLE RASH SHE GOT, "we're doing as well as can be expected considering the circumstances."

And, okay, I'm about halfway through a bottle of wine, but this is election night, and this is a big one, and I always do this on election night. I'm a little fuzzy on the "geeking out with (um, beloved) other person who is truly as concerned about McGaskill in Missouri as I am" thing, but, hey, this is really, truly approaching normal, or close as I'm likely to get.

See y'all around. Hope to hang out with the Tattoo Queen, too, and god save us, perhaps do some designing before the end of the month, wouldn't that be a kick...

Back to grouching at Wolf Blitzer, now. Hugs to all of you, especially Carole and Ruth and Jena and Lucia and Lynne and Erica. And Selkie. And Kat, and Kat with a K. And the really kind anonymous folks that stop by, too. Thank you.

14 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Liz! You sound downright upbeat tonight. You must be high on election returns. Hugs to you, hon. I'm still here, thinking about you.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ooo, watch out for that sneaky spindle. It'll be a wheel you're wanting next. ;)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Hugs coming right back atcha, Liz. Could the Dems actually have the Senate too? You should see my fingernails, what's left of them. There are drawbacks to not drinking.

See you soon.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Spinning is addictive, that's for sure! I'm glad you really meant you wanted to learn spinning, and not just "want to learn it" the way that I "want to learn steeks" which is to say not at all. Heh. I'm glad you enjoyed everything, and I'm already plotting your December package, muhuwhahahahahah!
Hugs to you!
-SP9 "Selkie"

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A spindle and fiber! YAY! Come over to the next spinning meeting at the Westford Historial Museum next Tuesday evening and we'll teach you how to spin!

Spinning is VERY therapeutic :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Jena said...

Thank you for the congratulations! We are very excited and you're right, he is a dude of much goodness. :)

Watch out for that spindle... it will lead to a new addiction. I haven't gotten the hang of spinning on the spindle yet and I'm already dreaming of a wheel (yes, really... last week, I dreamt that I was spinning on a spinning wheel).

Life is going on and you are doing admirably well. Keep remembering to seek strength, peace, and a good cry when necessary.

See you tonight?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

ooooooooo, a spindle! ooooooo, a Democratic-controlled House! ooooooo, Rumsfeld is gone!

and ooooooooo, Liz was at knitting! It was great to see you, hon. Hugs ...

3:50 PM  
Blogger Marsha said...

As a Pennsylvnia resident, I can tell you that there are a lot of us here who are thrilled that the "Kick Rick Out" campaign worked. So long, Santorum! Go back to Virginia, where you really live!

I just stumbled here while randomly visiting SP9 participants' blogs. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After voting yesterday, my civic duty continued with jury duty today. I come home today to find out that Rumsfeld resigned. It's a good day.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely SP package! The roving looks nearly edible, and that purple yarn makes me want to curl up with it and pet it like a cat.

The elections and the (completely coincidental, of course) resignation are a delight, aren't they?

Okay seems like a pretty good place to be right now. How's NaNoWriMo going? Mine is suffering extreme neglect, I fear.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to love the spindle! If you need any help getting started, just holler.

-Katie in Cambridge

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how happy I was to see you go for seconds on the pie (I noticed!). It was great to see you. And, really, have you ever met a person with a "functional" family? I don't think they exist. Be strong - you can do it.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing as well as can be expected. I agree - no such thing as a functional family. Hugs!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post sounds like your zing is peeking through the grief. I am sorry that your beloved did not get to help shut down the red states. Absolutely design if you can.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home