Wednesday, August 29, 2007

An awesome birthday, and I'm still a geek


Wow. No, not *my* birthday. My friend S. turned 40, and astonishingly cool personages that she and her husband K. are, to celebrate, they rented out Passim last night and booked a private concert. This guy played. He is amazing. Zowie. That's some guitar, there--he sounds live like there are about three guitars going, but it's just him.

Oh? you ask, where is the neuroscience in this post? Other than yes, I did express regret in person at the party/concert to other people who've been subjected to the endless neuroscience raving? (Speaking of which... um... sorry about that, everybody at Javaroom tonight. Hope I didn't scare Rebecca off.) Fret not! When I got home from the concert/party/thing, I caught an episode of Eureka, and there was a whole subplot about people suddenly & mysteriously getting silly & stupid. Boy, is it annoying when random neuro gets tossed into something. I suspect the show would bug me more often if I were a physicist.

I was going to go into this whole ridiculous explanation of what GABA does and why what happened in the episode made almost no sense, but upon re-reading, it's too absurdly geeky even for me. (The show was correct that bicuculine is an antagonist for one of the GABA receptor subtypes, but not about much else.) I don't wish to assume that anybody a) watches the damn show, or b) really gives a crap what the specific scientific inaccuracies are. It's fiction, Weasel; get over it.

(Weasel quietly gnashes teeth in corner)

More fun and games coming! It is nearly September, and all kinds of things are starting up. The new season at ART begins on Friday with an opera, which I'm going to - yay! I'm taking the kids to see the performance event co-hosted by Amanda Palmer at ART, too. Such a busy house of weasel we are.

Next courses for me will be molecular & cell biology, which I'm looking forward to (I <3 molecules!), and a required writing course. I'm going to be working with some kids at the coop on neuroscience, drawing mainly from this site, which is amazing, plus a bunch of things from what I learned this summer. Yes, I will be careful not to frighten the children. I will. Really. I'll be singing a song at the coop's coffeehouse in a couple of weeks. And, well, that's about all there is to report.

How're things your way?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zowie is right. I've downloaded some tunes already.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I've never heard of him, but he *is* really good (Very Stevie Ray Vaughn-ish) I bet Richard would really like it (bookmarked for future downloads)
On Eureka, I have yet to see it, but a fried is practically twisting my arm to watch it (like I need yet one more tv show to get "involved" with :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I do not even want to ask what the song is about.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! Don't apologize for explaining the neuroscience. I was utterly fascinated last night. I'm now looking forward to gleaning off your molecular biology classes!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh molecular and cell biology. I’ve just started the first part of my master in infectious disease control, cellular and molecular biology of infectious diseases. I’m so fascinated in those little viruses and parasites and so on and how they manage to invade our systems. Congratulations on the exam.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Aww, I love Passim's. It's one of my favorite places to go when I'm up that way (that, and Mind's Eye Yarns). Heh.

Hey, Rhinebeck plans are firming up! We'll be in upstate New York Thursday through Monday!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

So I am also going to the thing with Amanda Palmer..the Saturday earlier showing. ALSO, we watch eureka, and I catch them in physics blunders all the time, so geek on m'dear, geek on.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home